British Roots of Maryland Families
THE ACTON FAMILY
Refs: A: "A Royal Descent: Alfred the Great," by Ruth Ellsworth Richardson, Forebears; Book 4
(1974), pp. 521-523, B. Register of Longnor, Shropshire Parish Register Society, Diocese of
Lichfield, Vol. 15.
Longnor is a village in the Hundred and Royal Deanery of Condover, Diocese of Lichfield, 8
miles south of Shrewsbury (Genealogical Gazetteer of England. By Frank Smith. GPC).
1. "Master" HENRY ACTON m. on 11 May 1671 "Mistress" Hannah Corbett at Longnor,
Shropshire, England (B:15). Hannah's royal descent is published in Forebears (A). Henry and
Hannah were the parents of (all bapt. at Longnor, Shropshire) (B:16, 17): MARGARET, bapt. 2
Feb 1671/2; ETHELDRAED, dau., bapt. 2 Oct 1673; HANNAH, bapt. 7 Dec 1675; HENRY,
bapt. 11 Oct 1677; ROBERT, bapt. 1 Oct 1679; and FRANCIS, bapt. 10 April 1682.
2. HENRY ACTON, son of Henry and Hannah, was bapt. on 11 Oct 1677 at Longnor,
Shropshire, and d. 1742 in PG Co., MD. He m. (by?) 1737 Ann (Penn) Chandler, widow of John
Chandler of CH Co.
Henry Acton was here by 19 June 1702 when he and Ann acton witnessed the will of John
Watkins of PG Co. (MWB 11:373).
Henry d. leaving a will dated 5 Dec 1742, proved 14 Jan 1742, naming w. Hannah, sons Henry
and John, daus. Ann Dunning and Barbara McFerson, and granddau. Hannah Dunning (MWB
23:29); had issue: HENRY; JOHN; ANN, m. (N) Dunning; BARBARA, m. (N) McPherson.
ACTON, HENRY, son of Rowland and Ann, was bapt. 16 Dec 1632 at Norbury, Shropshire,
ACTON; A ROYAL DESCENT
Refs.: A: "A Royal Descent: Alfred the Great, " by Ruth Ellsworth Richardson, Forebears: Book
4 (1974), pp. 521-523. B: Register of Longnor, Shropshire Parish Register Society: Diocese of
Lichfield, 5 (2) 407-452. C: Register of Condover. Shropshire Parish Register Society: Diocese
of Lichfield, S. I.: The Society, 1906). D: WAR6.
1. EDWARD I, King of England 1272-1307, b. 1239, d. 1307; m. in 1254, Eleanor of Castile, d
28 Nov 1290, daughter of Fernando III, King of Castile, by his wife Joan de Dammartin. They
were the parents of (among others) (A; D: Line 6): ELIZABETH.
2. ELIZABETH PLANTAGENET, daughter of Edward I and Eleanor, was b. Aug 1282 d. 5
May 1316, m. in 1302, Humphrey de Bohun VIII, Earl of Hereford and Essex, b. 1276, d. 16
March 1331/2. They were the parents of (A; D: Line 7): ELEANOR.
3. ELEANOR de BOHUN, daughter of Humphrey de Bohun VIII and Elizabeth Plantagenet,
died 7 Oct 1363, m. James Butler (Le Boteler) (created Earl of Ormonde), b. 1305, d. Jan 1337/8.
They were the parents of (among others) (A; D: Lines 7, 13): PETRONELLA.
4. PETRONELLA BUTLER, daughter of James Butler and Eleanor de Bohun, married by 1361,
Gilbert Talbot, Lord Talbot of Ecclesfield, b. c1322, d. 24 April 1387. They were the parents of
(among others) (A; D: Lines 13, 14); Sir RICHARD.
5. Sir RICHARD TALBOT, son of Gilbert And Petronella (Butler) Talbot, was b. c1361, d. Sep
1396. He married by 1383 Ankaret le Strange, Baroness Strange, b. 1361, d. 1413. They had (A):
6. Sir JOHN TALBOT, K.G., son of Sir Richard and Ankaret (Le Strange), was b. 1384, d. 20
July 1453. He was created 1st Earl of Shrewsbury. he married by 12 March 1406/7, Maude de
Neville, Baroness Furnival. They had issue (A): Sir JOHN.
7. Sir JOHN TALBOT, K.G., 2nd Earl of Shrewsbury, son of Sir John and Maude (de Neville),
was b. 1413, and d. 10 July 1460.
He m. by March 1444/5, Elizabeth Butler, b. 1420, d. 8 Sep 1473, daughter of James Butler and
Joan de Beauchamp. They were the parents of (A): ANNE.