Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Zachariah Tuten and family research

Re: Zachariah TUTEN - His brothers & sisters; father & mother & where he lived. New

Glenn Pratt (View posts) Posted: 30 Nov 2002 9:12AM
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tuten
Tony Tuten:

Yes, it would be nice if those were his brothers & William was his father. I wish you luck on your search. I have been doing the same type of search for the father of my GGG Grandfather, Wiley Tuten, Sr. & I believed it to have been Zachariah Tuten, Sr. himself, which it most likely was. My grandmother knows, but she is a little embarrassed of him & the family - she is 97 years old. Could it have been that the church dismissed Rachel or chased her away because of her involvement with William & that the Tuten family of William & Jemina Mae may have disowned your William as well for his involvement with her & possible disgrace to the family? Do you know what that dismissal was all about? Good luck...
Glenn Pratt gencp@msn.com

Re: Zachariah TUTEN - Cherokee Indian ???/All white & English ancestry. New

glenn pratt (View posts) Posted: 22 Feb 2003 1:11PM
Classification: Census
Surnames: TUTEN & LACY
Gene:
I misplaced your email address so I am "posting a reply" regarding Zachariah Tuten, Sr., born in 1766 or 1768. I know that this Zachariah Tuten was completely white & of English ancestry. His father was William Tuten, who was white & owned one slave in 1790 & in 1800. His sons, Thomas Tuten owned 2 slaves in 1800 (census from Barnwell Co. & Beaufort Co., S. or N. Carolina) & Zachariah Tuten, Sr. (Zach) owned between 2-4 slaves in Beaufort Co., prior to relocating to Roane Co., Tenn. My GGG Grandfather, Wiley Tuten, Sr. was Zachariah's 1/2 brother from William's 2nd of three marriages. Cherokee Indians didn't own slaves to my knowledge as they were "lower" on the totem pole than the blacks, often referred to as "dogs" which isn't as good as 1/3 -1/2 persons. I'm glad things are different now days. The 1/2 Cherokee Indian, Zachariah was his son, Zachariah (Zachie)Tuten, born in 1793/died in 1887 (Tudal, Tootle, Tootan) and his brother, Obediah Tuten - sons of Zachariah (1st-Sr.)'s Cherokee Indian wife or wives, who he had children with until 1820 (which even followed his marriage to Ally DIckson in 1806). Ally was "white" I think (not totally sure) and had three children, Sarah (also referred to as Susan at times), Susan & retarded Wiley in 1812. Zachie, born in 1793, who lived in Limestone Co., Alabama & died in Mississippi also had a son named Zachariah Tuten, although there is no record of his birth or date of death - I think he died in 1826, which is mistakenly when the grandfather some think had died, though he lived with Ally & his "retarded son" Wiley beyond 1860 (died around 1860-1870). After Ally & Zach died Wiley went to live with the Lewis's. I have learned a lot about the family tree of Tutens lately, though it took my grandmother's death to bring it out into the open.
Glenn Pratt gencp@msn.com

Re: Zachariah TUTEN - His brothers & sisters; father & mother & where he lived. New

donnay193 (View posts) Posted: 7 Mar 2003 7:48PM
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Aug 2003 11:36AM
Surnames: Tuten, Guthrie, Youraine
My Aunt, Ruth Tuten, by marriage to Tommy, used to be very active in Tuten reunions however they are in WI. and I do not have access to her info. I found this thread to be of particular interest for the following reason:

Patrick Howell Tuten would have been my GGGrandfather

Lawrence Gaston Tuten, Archer,Fl. my GGrandfather

Lawrence Frank Tuten, my Grandfather, born 12/16/1888-Genoa(?),FL. was in the USCG and retired in Morehead City,NC. Brothers & sisters were Howell, Mary, Mattie, and Buddy. His mother was Tommie (or Tommy) Blount, Jasper,FL. LF married Samantha Guthrie of Morehead City,NC 06/10/30. LF was married once before this-I don't have that info. LF died 02/27/73.

Some of my info is a bit sketchy as my grandmother was very ill part of the time we were documenting things. I'm only assuming that the Patrick Howell Tuten you mention is the same. If not please excuse my rambling!
donnay@ec.rr.com

Re: Zachariah TUTEN, PATRICK HOWELL TUTEN & RUTH TUTEN New

glenn pratt (View posts) Posted: 8 Mar 2003 10:57AM
Classification: Query
Surnames: Patrick Howell Tuten & Ruth Tuten
Donna:

You need to email Tony Tuten; who knows about your Ruth Tuten & Patrick Howell Tuten. He emails me about her & I know nothing of either of them. I only know of Zachariah Tuten and he has a Rachel "? " & a William Tuten, whom he thinks were married & possibly related to Zachariah Tuten & his brother, Richard Simon Tuten. My only connection is that my Wiley Tuten, Sr. was Zachariah Tuten's 1/2 brother from the 2nd wife of William Tuten, Ann Hill. I believe his William may have been from this 2nd wife also, but of course don't know why I would guess such a thing. Try to email Tony Tuten at kingtut@alltel.net. I will give him your email address also & let him know that you want to connect with him about Ruth & Patrick Howell Tuten. Glenn Pratt gencp@msn.com

Re: Zachariah TUTEN, PATRICK HOWELL TUTEN & RUTH TUTEN New

donnay193 (View posts) Posted: 8 Mar 2003 2:26PM
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Aug 2003 11:36AM
Glenn,

Thanks for your reply and input. Tony has been kind enough to respond and we are distant cousins! Who knew that the "Tuten" were so extensive-I would have never guessed. Very interesting.

Donna

Re: Zachariah TUTEN, PATRICK HOWELL TUTEN & RUTH TUTEN New

Glenn Pratt (View posts) Posted: 9 Mar 2003 12:38PM
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ruth Tuten, Patrick Howell Tuten
Donna:
I've been doing this genealogy "stuff" for about 7 or 8 months & I'm getting better at it; plus I have made some good contacts. I knew Tony was your "distant" cousin & I just wanted to "link" you up. Tony seems to think & he's right if his Rachel & William Tuten were actually married or had children together & this WIlliam was a son from either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd marriage of William Tuten, born:1735/died:1817. My GGG Grandfather, WIley Tuten was born from the 2nd marriage to Ann Hill. I don't think his William was born from the first marriage unless he was born before 1775 or thereabouts. My Wiley was born in 1784 & the last child from that 1st marriage was born in 1770. I think his beat would be from the 2nd marriage, since William may have been too old when he got to the 3rd wife, Mary (something) between 1790-1810... I think he was with the 3rd wife in 1811 (he was 77 years old) when he got a passport to travel through dangerous "Creek Indian" territory during uprising. The Creeks fought alongside the British in the war of 1812 and the Cherokees fought with us (Tennesseans) & that is why we'all intermarried with the Cherokees; plus the Cherokees "liked & wanted to fit in with the whites". This William Tuten died in 1817, just 6 years later at the age of 83 years old. Aside from that; if I'm somewhat distantly related to Tony, then I might also be somewhat related to you. Can you try to help Tony to find out whether he is connected to this William Tuten? We need to find out when this William Tuten was born & where and possibly when & where he died; if he was married & to whom & if they had children. Tony is working on this, but actually his Ruth Tuten has all of the information. I have spoken with over the phone with a 5th cousin; have stumbled onto numerous other 5th or 6th cousins on both sides of my family & even came across a 35th cousin who lives in Washington State. She is younger than myself. It would be nice to find out whether you & Tony are also related to me too. I hope I helped you out. I tried to email you at your email address too, but it failed twice. Glenn Pratt gencp@msn.com

Re: Sarah TUTEN d/o Zachariah TUTEN - Tennessee & Gladys Marie Sharp New

Glenn Pratt (View posts) Posted: 12 Mar 2003 12:31AM
Classification: Query
Surnames: Zachariah Tuten
Gene Lacey:

I recently saw censuses from Beaufort Co., North Carolina from 1790, 1800 & 1810. The 1790 showed Zachariah Tudal, 1800 showed Zach Tuten & there was no Zach or Zachariah Tuten, Tuton, Tutton, Tudal or Tootle in 1810; but a Rile Tuten in 1810 census. In 1800 Zach had 2-4 slaves & his father, William had one slave. In 1810, this Rile Tuten had 6 slaves & WIlliam had one. I remembered that you said that Zachariah was also known as Riley or Wyley. I think this Rile Tuten was Zachariah Tuten. He did something "odd" in 1826; in order to go back to his 2nd wife in Roane County, Tenn. whom he married 20 years earlier in 1806 (Ally Dickson) - he executed & probated a will & auctioned off his estate in North Carolina while he was actually "still alive". In this way he left some of his "wealth" to his children of his 1st woman or wife (Cherokee Indian woman), before going back to his 2nd wife, Ally Dickson. He lived until 1867 in Roane County, Tenn.; as evidenced by his payments of support for his retarded son, Wiley Tuten ceased coming to him in 1867 - he possibly died. He was in census in Roane Co. in 1860 with Ally Dickson. He died at age 101 years old in 1867. The payments were transferred in 1867 for retarded Wiley's upkeep to John Lewis (Sarah married Aaron Lewis) and continued until Wiley Tuten died on March 11, 1877 at age 65 years old (born 1812). My Wiley Tuten, Sr., born 1784 was Zachariah's 1/2 brother; son of Ann Hill (William's 2nd wife). My Wiley also had a son named Wiley Tuten who was born in 1814 & died in 1863 in Carthage Confederate War Camp. Did you know that Zachariah Tuten, Sr. not only used different names, but lied about his age in all of the censuses; as did his son, "Zachie" Zachariah Tuten, who lived in Limestone Co., Alabama (born 1793). "Zachie" also had a son, he named Zachariah (grandson of Zachariah, Sr.), who was born in 1838. A Diane Grinson (last name spelled incorrectly) has a message on the message board which talks about this grandson, Zachariah having been 28 years old in 1860. In the 1850 census he was only 12 years old, which means he was born in 1838; yet he wasn't 22 years old in 1860 - but said to be 28 years old & living in New Mexico & in the military. Possibly all three Zachariahs lied about their ages... the youngest wanted to be older than he was, which wasn't what the other two wanted to be. They both lied as having been 10 years younger. Did you know about any of this & do you think this Rile Tuten in 1810 census was Zachariah Tuten? There is no Zach or Zachariah Tuten listed in 1810 census. Hope that you are doing fine. If you want copies of these three censuses... email me & give me your email address again, as I have misplaced it. I will forward the censuses to you if you wish. Glenn Pratt gencp@msn.com

Re: Sarah TUTEN d/o Zachariah TUTEN - Tennessee & Gladys Marie Sharp New

Glenn Pratt (View posts) Posted: 12 Mar 2003 12:44AM
Classification: Query
Surnames: Zachariah Tuten, Obediah Tuten
Gene Lacey:

This Diane's last name is Grondin & she is shown as #74 message on message board for Zachariah or Obediah Tuten. In her message she mentions a son of Obediah whom I didn't know of & she mentions that she found a Zachariah Tuten enlisted in New Mexico Military unit of Rifemen in 1860, at the age of 28 years old (he was or should have been 22 years old). Obediah possibly had a son name William, whom Diane Grondin is a descendant from & of course Obediah & Zachariah Tuten, Sr. Obediah was one of Zachariah's sons from the Indian wife- not Ally Dickson. Glenn Pratt gencp@msn.com

Re: Zachariah TUTEN - His brothers & sisters; father & mother & where he lived. New

Peggy Tutten Worley (View posts) Posted: 13 Mar 2004 2:35PM
Classification: Query
I am a direct descendant of Zachariah Tuten and have lots of information on the Tutens that my first cousin, Helen Stewart, of Belle Mina (just outside Decatur) put together. My mother and father were divorced when I was only 3 years old and she changed the spelling of my name.
You can email me if you wish - but I will tell you this - the woods of full of Tutens!
Sincerely,
Peggy Tutten Worley

Re: Zachariah TUTEN - His brothers & sisters; father & mother & where he lived. New

Peggy Tutten Worley (View posts) Posted: 13 Mar 2004 2:36PM
Classification: Query
I am a direct descendant of Zachariah Tuten and have lots of information on the Tutens that my first cousin, Helen Stewart, of Belle Mina (just outside Decatur) put together. My mother and father were divorced when I was only 3 years old and she changed the spelling of my name.
You can email me if you wish - but I will tell you this - the woods of full of Tutens!
Sincerely,
Peggy Tutten Worley

Re: Zachariah TUTEN - His brothers & sisters; father & mother & where he lived. New

Peggy Tutten Worley (View posts) Posted: 13 Mar 2004 2:36PM
Classification: Query
I am a direct descendant of Zachariah Tuten and have lots of information on the Tutens that my first cousin, Helen Stewart, of Belle Mina (just outside Decatur) put together. My mother and father were divorced when I was only 3 years old and she changed the spelling of my name.
You can email me if you wish - but I will tell you this - the woods of full of Tutens!
Sincerely,
Peggy Tutten Worley

Re: Zachariah TUTEN - His brothers & sisters; father & mother & where he lived. New

terrialdridge22 (View posts) Posted: 3 Mar 2005 9:45PM
Classification: Query
i was an ennis before marriage. in my research i have ran across absolem tutten and nancy brackett who are my ancestors. they moved from tennessee to Marshall co Al in the mid 1800's. Funny my grandfather lived in belle mina frank thomas ennis who married lyda sturdivant. do you know anything of this family? are we in the same ancestry tree? Are we possibly related?

Re: Deatherage Connection New

sassyrebelgirl (View posts) Posted: 6 Aug 2005 12:18AM
Classification: Query
ARE YOU RELATED TO ANY OF THE SMITH'S FROM MARION CO. FLORIDA MY GRANDMOTHER IS JESSIE SMITH SHE MARRIED GARY WALDRON

Re: Deatherage Connection New

Ron Smith (View posts) Posted: 6 Aug 2005 4:57PM
Classification: Query
Rosa, Sorry, but all of my Smith's come from Fentress County, TN. Sorry I couldn't make a connection. Ron

Re: Deatherage Connection New

jonicholas70 (View posts) Posted: 24 Mar 2007 2:09PM
Classification: Query
Surnames: DEATHERAGE
HI, READ YOUR MESSAGE AND I WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT
GEORGE & NANCY JOHNSON ARE MY GGGRANDPARENTS. JO

Re: Sarah TUTEN d/o Zachariah TUTEN - Tennessee & Gladys Marie Sharp New

ea_jc_2276 (View posts) Posted: 17 Feb 2011 11:54PM
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jackson Teuton Barger
My great-great grandfather was a John Teuton (born 1883) married to a Carrie Elizabeth (Grandma Lizzie) Teuton (no info found). I'm not sure they were ever legally married and its hard to find information on that side. Along John Teuton's side, the men didn't believe in government and sending women to school. :( I do know that John Teuton was a drunk. He built and painted houses for a living in Jackson, TN. More specifically, the Bemis area of Jackson. I've been having a lot of trouble finding them. You said yours may have lied about their ages? As my grandmother says, "The Teuton side is full of liars, drunks, adulterers, and con-men." Hahaha Sounds like my family. :) Let me know if you have any information regarding any Teutons you may turn up in this area or other areas. :)

Re: Sarah TUTEN d/o Zachariah TUTEN - Tennessee New

docbaize (View posts) Posted: 4 Jun 2011 3:45PM
Classification: Query
I have been working on getting my indian blood card for over 30 years now and finally am finding proof for the verbal traditions. Can anyone assist in finalizing the blood card? thank you

Re: Sarah TUTEN d/o Zachariah TUTEN - Tennessee New

docbaize (View posts) Posted: 4 Jun 2011 3:45PM
Classification: Query
I have been working on getting my indian blood card for over 30 years now and finally am finding proof for the verbal traditions. Can anyone assist in finalizing the blood card? thank you

Re: Zachariah TUTEN - His brothers & sisters; father & mother & where he lived. New

jwvancott (View posts) Posted: 15 Sep 2011 9:24PM
Classification: Query
Hello Peggy,
My wife is from the Sharps of Tennessee and is related to Zacharian Tuten I believe throught the Lewis line. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am researching the cherokee line.
Sincerely,
John

Re: Sarah TUTEN d/o Zachariah TUTEN - Tennessee & Gladys Marie Sharp New

jwvancott (View posts) Posted: 15 Sep 2011 9:41PM
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Sep 2011 9:44PM
Surnames: Sharp/Tuten/Lewis
Hello Glen, I am researching the Tuten line, my wife is related directly to the Sharps of Tennessee. Her Grandfather is Kenneth Keith Sharp, GG Josiah Wilson Sharp, GGG Martin Sharp, GGGG Merdith Sharp of Roane Tennessee. I have been reading your posts and it looks like the Sharp/Cherokee line is possibly from the Zachariah Tuten family through the Lewis family?? Gladys Marie Sharp is my wifes great aunt.Any information on your Cherokee research would be appreciated very much. Please advise how I can contact you direct to discuss as I am not a regular member of Ancestry.com.
P.S. I am related to Parley P. Pratt through his Aunt
Sincerely,
John

Re: Sarah TUTEN d/o Zachariah TUTEN - Tennessee New

jwvancott (View posts) Posted: 16 Sep 2011 11:48AM
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sharp/Lewis/Tuten
I have also been working for over ten years to find proof of my wifes Cherokee line, she is a Sharp. Her family line is as follows; Grandfather:Kenneth Keith Sharp, GG: Josiah Wilson Sharp, GGG: Martin Sharp, and GGGG: Merdith Sharp, most of them are from Roane Tennessee. I believe that the Cherokee line is through Lucida Maria Lewis (Josiah W. Sharps wife), to Zachariah Tuten. I would appreciate any information that you may have regarding Sarah Tuten and or the Sharps.
Thanks,

  

   



No comments:

Post a Comment